Kamis, Januari 27, 2011

Fungsi Gerund

Karena  gerund  merupakan sejenis kata benda, maka ia dapat berfungsi sebagai:


1. Subject
Gerund sebagai subjek pokok kalimat, contoh:
- Sleeping is necassary to life.- Your singing is very beautiful.
- Studying needs time and patience.
- Playing game is fun.
- Smoking is not good for our health .

2. Subjective Complement
Gerund sebagai pelengkap subjek dalam kalimat biasanya selalu didahului to be yang terletak di antara subject dan subjective complement, contoh:
- My chief delight is dancing.- My favorite activity is reading.

- My hobby is cooking.

3. Direct Object
Gerund sebagai objek langsung dalam kalimat, contoh:
- I enjoy studying English.- She likes traveling.
- Thank you for your coming.
- I hate swimming.

4. Object of Preposition
Gerund sebagai objek preposisi yang terletak setelah preposisi. Preposisi yang sering dipakai adalah of, on, no, with, without, at for, after, before, because of, to, like, about, for, by, in.
Contoh:
- He is tired of gambling.- I am fond of eating bakso.
- He insisted on seeing her.
- I have no objection to hearing your story.
- You will not be clever without studying.
- Tuty is clever at teaching English.
- In sleeping I met you in the park.

5. Appositive
Gerund sebagai aposisi atau penegas dalam kalimat, contoh:
- My hobby, fishing, is interesting.- I do not like quarrelling, a useless job.
My hobby is fishing dan fishing is interesting diletakkan bersebelahan dalam sebuah kalimat sebagai appositive (fishing adalah aposisi dari my hobby), begitu juga contoh kalimat dibawahnya.

1 komentar: